Saturday, February 21, 2015

Against Meat

I found Foer's article about his experiences with vegetarianism very interesting. One of my best friends is a vegetarian and in the beginning, I always felt awkward eating meat in front of her. I didn't know if it was disrespectful to eat meat in front of her or if it just grossed her out. She never minded if people ate meat in front of her. Every one in her family eats meat and it doesn't bother her. I remember when I tried to be vegetarian. I think I lasted two weeks. I mean, I definitely have respect for vegetarians and vegans but man I just can't do it.
What I found most interesting in Foer's article was the part when he talks about him and his wife deciding to raise their children vegetarian. He says that most of his childhood memories were sushi lunch dates with his mother, turkey burgers with his father, and his grandmother's chicken soup. I don't believe that there is anything wrong with being vegetarian because it is ultimately the person's choice. However, I personally would raise my children eating meat for the reason that most of my childhood memories are similar to Foer's. I wouldn't want to deprive my children of those memories.

3 comments:

  1. I wondered at that part of the article too - if it is a person's choice to become a vegetarian, then why should the parents make that choice for the children? Then again, maybe they look at it in the opposite way - it's a person's choice to eat meat, and their children can make that choice when/if they are able to. Until then, they'll be vegetarians.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree I had a slightly similar experience to Foer's children but it was never my choice to go vegan. Yeah I get that my family wanted to be health but to wasn't fair to make that choice for the family when I am 12 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I feel everyone has the right to make those type of decisions on their own

    ReplyDelete